Health is the state of well being in which all the components of health are in balance.
Wellness is broken down into six categories. To be truly healthy you need to take care of all six components. Many components of health are affected by another. Optimum wellness is achieved by doing one’s best in all six components. Choosing healthy behaviors will aid in achieving optimum health.
1. Physical Health refers to the way in which your body functions overall. Important aspects of physical health include: good nutrition, regular physical activity, abstaining from drug use, avoiding alcohol abuse, responsible sexual behavior, good hygiene, body weight management, and adequate rest. Physical health also refers to being free of disease or sickness.
2. Mental Health refers to the level of psychological well being. The well being of an individual encompasses many aspects: realization of one’s abilities, coping with normal stresses of life, productive work, and contribution to one’s community. It may also include the ability to enjoy life, and the ability to adapt to change and cope with adversity. On the other end of the continuum is mental illness, a term that refers to all mental disorders. A person struggling with mental health may face stress, depression, anxiety, relationship problems, grief, addiction, ADHD or learning disabilities, mood disorders, or other psychological concerns.
3. Environmental Health refers to all aspects of the natural and built environment that may affect human health. This includes keeping air and water clean, as well as our food and land safe.
4. Social Health refers to that dimension of tan individual’s well-being that concerns how one gets along with other people, how other people react to the individual, and how one interacts with social institutions and societal mores.
5. Emotional Health refers to the ability to express and cope with one’s emotions in a positive, non destructive manner. It is important to recognize that emotions are not “good” or “bad”, but may be recognized as “comfortable” or “uncomfortable” based on how they make one feel.
6. Spiritual Health refers to living life according to one’s ethics, morals, and values. While different individuals may have different views of what spiritualism is, it is generally considered to be the search for meaning and purpose in human existence.